Traces of a prehistoric settlement were discovered in these areas as well as findings providing evidence of the presence of Roman populations. During the Hungarian invasions, the inhabitants were forced to abandon the Christian village, built on the shores pf the lake and dependent on Pieve di Desenzano, moving onto the hills where they built the Castle.
In the middle ages, the castle became a Ghibelline stronghold disputed between Brescia and Verona. In 1330, Padenghe was conquered by the Scaligeri whose various family members also disputed the castle. At the end of the fourteenth century, the towns along the shore demanded and obtained its independence from the Visconti family. In 1414, the Drugolo castle was entrusted to Padenghe by Pandolfo Malatesta. After the Treaty of Lodi in 1454, the Venetian Republic kept a garrison inside the castle.
The people of Padenghe were described as "superb" by a macaronic poet who, during the French domination, stayed in the convent of Maguzzano which was spared from the conflict thanks to the intervention of Cardinal D'Amboise , preventing the destruction of the castle which would have caused dangerous unrest in the hearts of the villagers. Padenghe also suffered the looting and the violence of the Imperial German soldiers coming from Verona in 1532, while, at the end of the sixteenth century, it was threatened by ruthless bandits including the famous Giacomo Dainese, aka 'Giacomazzo da Padenghe'.
Built above the village, this impressive medieval building still has its mighty walls made of large coble-stone, and its three distinguishing towers in the north-west part of the structure. Unfortunately, after its collapse, all that is left of the central part are ruins. Its main square tower rises above the main entrance that once supported a mighty drawbridge, with loopholes that are still visible today. The fortress was repeatedly contended for and lost until, in 1414, Pandolfo Malatesta decided to entrust Padenghe with the Drugolo Castle, where the Venetian Republic later kept a garrison. A small "castle inside the castle" was built to accommodate the castellan and the garrison. The original structure has been preserved: solid walls of large coble-stones and three towers (the central one is in ruins) on the north-west side. The castellan and the garrison lived in the little castle, which was erected later within the walls.
VILLA BARBIERI (TOWN HALL)
Situated near the Church, it was erected in the late 18th century. It has a characteristic façade which is entirely rustic. It recently became property of the municipality of Padenghe, and can therefore only be admired only from the outside.
CHURCH OF SANT’EMILIANO
Located near the Castle, this is an ancient Romanesque parish building consisting of a single hall and a semicircular apse dating back to the 12th century. The XII century semicircular apse is noteworthy. It underwent changes in the Baroque era.
SANTA MARIA PARISH CHURCH (ST. MARY'S)
Built towards the end of the 17th century, it houses paintings of great artistic value, such as the "Madonna and Child with Saints" by Zenone Veronese and paintings by Francesco Paglia, Francesco Giugno and Zadei. You can also admire the impressive sculptures of Antonio Callegari and Beniamino Sironi.