Thanks to the discovery of remains of a number of lake-dwelling villages in the lakes of Sovenigo, it was possible to confirm that this area was inhabited during prehistoric times. When you visit Mount Boccale, it is possible to see tombstones from the Romanesque period; the most spectacular one is built into the door of St. Michael's Parish. The town underwent Lombard domination, as testified by documents proving that a number of Lombards owned property there; in the 14th century, the town was under the domination of Mastino della Scala, and Venetian in the 15th century. During bondage to the Venetian Republic, Puegnago became part of the Valtenesi territory. Even these towns and villages were not spared by the plague of 1630, bringing great suffering and mourning. Puegnago survived the raids of bandits during the 17th century, including the bitter memory of the fearsome Dominisette who forced atrocious abuses upon the population. With the arrival of the War of the Spanish Succession, armed troops of the French and Spanish armies plundered Puegnago of the money of the Compagnia del Santissimo Corpo di Cristo (Company of the Sacred Corpus Christi) and of the many sacred ornaments it contained. The population stands proud of the great solidarity it extended to its neighboring villages at the end of the battle of San Martino, bringing aid to the numerous wounded. From 1818 to 1825 Puegnago, Soiano and San Felice were grouped together, while Raffa was only joined to Puegnago as recently as 1928. The origins of this curious name date back to Roman times, from the Roman "Popinius" becoming "Popiniacus" as a result of a 'Romanisation'.
Erected on a typical hill as a defense against the Hungarian raids, it has a distinctive oval shaped wall built to fit the slope of the hill below. The majestic walls and the imposing tower have been totally abandoned, while the tower of the main entrance was converted into a bell tower in the middle of the 19th century. Unfortunately the area within the walls is in complete ruins, and it is no longer possible to see any trace of the dwellings that were once located there.
PARISH CHURCH OF SAN MICHELE (ST. MICHAEL)
Built at the beginning of 1600, it houses eighteenth-century paintings by Cattaneo and Zadei, in addition to the beautiful "Via Crucis" of Dusi. The painting dedicated to the Patron Saint by Antonio Vicentini housed in the parish Church dedicated to St. Michael Archangel (1611), is surely worth the visitor's attention; the precious organ (1722/4); the wooden choir, valuable for its fine workmanship (600) is attributed to the Pialorsi, known as Boscaì Levrange, for its style and characteristics; there is also a plaque dating back to the Roman era.
TORRE COLOMBERA (COLOMBERA TOWER)
Dating back to the 16th century, it features a particular square layout, after a long period of desertion. It is currently undergoing restoration.
CHURCH OF MURA
The church of Mura (1583) dedicated to St. Joseph, preserves a wooden statue of Our Lady of Mount Carmel and an altarpiece dedicated to the patronage of St. Joseph.
CHURCH OF SAN GIOVANNI BATTISTA (ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST)
In Palude, you will find the small church dedicated to St. John the Baptist. It is not known exactly when it was built, but it surely dates back prior to 1530. It has only one altar with an altarpiece created by an unknown artist depicting the baptism of Jesus; the ancon is the work of Gio Batta Bansode dated 1734.
In Monteacuto, an ancient village originally consisting of only three farmsteads (XVII-XVIII), a chapel was dedicated to Saint Gaetano of Thiene. On the altar there is a painting of St. Gaetano taking the Baby Jesus from the arms our Lady.
MADONNA DELLA NEVE (OUR LADY OF THE SNOWS)
The parish church dedicated to the Madonna della Neve (1824) (Our Lady of the Snows) is located in the centre of the village of Raffa, which was a municipality until 1928, where you can admire a painting by Andrea Celesti.